Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Speed Demon

Well, the law finally caught up with me. I have been driving for 23 years and I have only gotten two tickets. One for an accident 20 years ago (the only accident I have ever had) and one for running a stop sign 19 years ago. I have been stopped for speeding about 5 times (once with both my mother and my mother-in-law in the car) and I was always just given a warning. I thought having the baby in the car would make a cop more sympathetic if I ever got stopped again, but alas that was not the case. Maybe it was that whole endangering a minor thing.

Anyway, today I was zipping along, minding my own and Jackson's business when I noticed a workzone coming up. That's OK, I knew that if I could just get ahead of one last truck then I will be golden. So I zoomed by doing my usual 9 miles over the posted speed limit, except that the speed limit had changed to 45mph because of the impending workzone. Sure enough there was a cop hiding behind one of the construction barricades (coward) and there was plenty of room behind me so he pulled right in. I knew I was doomed, but he waited until there was room to move over to the shoulder to turn on his lights. "Where we going mommy?" This policeman just wants to talk to mommy. Yeah, that was fun. He said he clocked me going 79 in a 45 zone but he cut me a break and only marked it as 75 in a 45 zone. If he had marked it as 79 it would have meant a mandatory court appearance. As it is, it is just a hefty fine with $25 tacked on for the workzone. I was due.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

In Cali work zones are double, in Nevada TRIPLE! Be grateful for the measly $25. And go to traffic school online so it doesn't go to your insurance.