Yes, my "life beyond the boy" now includes my husband. We got a babysitter for last night and hit the town. In the middle of the afternoon Lyle came downstairs to tell me that the restaurant we were going to did not allow jeans. I promised him that I would change into real pants and if he was really lucky I might shower before we left. There aren't too many fancy restaurants in our town and this one had just opened up this winter. Lyle had been there with a few candidates, but I had not gone yet. So, all I knew was that it was fancy (no jeans fancy) so I dressed up a little bit. Not formal night on a cruise dressed up, but dressed up for me. I wore black pants and a black shirt with some texture to it. I put on a silver necklace and some silver earrings (all after I showered, of course). When I went in to get Jackson up from his nap he noticed something was different right away. He is a very observant little boy. He said "ohhh, this is pretty" touching my necklace. "And you have new earrings. Ohhh, and you shirt feels ticklely." I have wonderful memories of my parents getting ready for a night out. Dad smelled good and mom looked beautiful. Everything about it was exciting even though I never got to go with them (I wonder why that was). I will have to plan more nights of dressing up just to give Jackson those memories.
Anyway, so we were dressed and ready but Kim was not there. I know I told her 5:30, but I was a little worried because I did not call to confirm. I finally broke down and called her house to check on her and her husband told me she should be pulling up any minute. Sure enough just as I was hanging up she was on the porch. If someone is not at least 5 minutes early I consider them late. So we quickly re-oriented her to the house and the kid and the DVD player (most important) and then left.
The restaurant is right downtown and it is beautifully decorated inside and decidedly fancy. I am not terribly good at fancy. After we ordered they brought out our complimentary salad. I wish I had had my camera; this was the quintessential nuevo cuisine joke. It was on a plate about 2 inches square with a round 1/2" depression in the middle about an inch in diameter. The "salad" was in the inch. It was seaweed and something else. Lyle said it tasted like peanuts. He ate both of them; I am surprised he could squeeze in his entré after that.
Lyle ordered a seafood dish and I ordered filet mignon. The entrées were a fairly good size. My steak was good and I could not finish it all so we wrapped it up to take it home. We splurge on dessert and it was delicious. It was served on a plate similar to the salad plate but it was rectangular and there were 4 round depressions; one for each of the chocolate delights. The chocolate mousse was my favorite but Lyle preferred the truffle.
It was silly and expensive but fun. I would go there again for special occasions. Oh, I almost forgot about the bathroom. The sink was not a traditional bowl; it was actually a slab that the water fell on. This was all form and no function. Everyone walking out of the bathroom had a small wet spot on their belly because as soon as the water hits the slab it, of course, splashes. A bowl would catch that splash, but where's the fun in that.
After dinner we ran to catch the only movie in town that might possibly be worth seeing. It was Music and Lyrics at the dollar show (I am partially a cheap date). It wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. We got home a little after 9 and Jackson was in bed but not asleep. Lyle went up to calm him down while I paid Kim and bid her goodnight. I like date night.
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dinner sounded yummy (save the salad of course), maybe those fancy people don't wash after they use the bathroom, so they don't realize how functional a restroom should be.
Post a Comment