Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Re-think the Start

As most of you know, I work at a university. A university that is right across the street from a high school. Yesterday, after work Jackson and I took a walk on campus. I could see that there were a lot of kids across the street in the field outside the high school but I didn't think anything of it. Until I heard a pop and screaming. It only lasted a second but my initial thought was to grab Jackson and run. Luckily, I quickly surmised that the pop was a starter pistol and not a real gun and the screams were screams of encouragement and not terror. Can't they come up with a better way to start a race than shooting a gun?

We also just found out that there was police officer killed early this morning just across the river from the campus. Actually just beyond the tree line and to the right in this picture. I have never lived my life in fear and I don't plan to start now, but it is getting harder.

No comments: