OK, my new comment on Kat's post from a few days ago is getting too long, so I am putting it here. You can read her original post and the comments I am commenting on here: http://kathrynvh.blogspot.com/2008/09/are-you-ready-for-some-foot-law.html#comments
In answer to Uncle Marcel's last comment there, I was not taught to fear Christians in school and I don't fear Christians specifically. I fear fanatics of any sort. And we certainly were not taught hatred and I hope none of our comments have been interpreted as "hatred" of anyone. Well, maybe Bush. Oh yeah, and Cheney.
McCain and Palin simply do not agree with what I believe is right for our country.
I believe in choice and stem cell research. I believe in gay marriage and gays being able to serve openly in the military (don't ask/don't tell is an asinine concept which sanctions lies of omission--not very christian).
I don't have a clue what to do about the war in Iraq. I don't think we should have been there in the first place. I think the Bush administration (I personally think Cheney is pulling all the strings, but I have no proof of that) lied to get congress to vote for the war and I think we have a better chance of getting out of Iraq with a democrat who can admit that we shouldn't be there, than a republican who will have to save face for the good of the party.
I don't believe in lowering taxes. I believe that we need tax dollars (and government intervention) to get important things done. Like public education. Like enough public servants to effectively run our cities and states. Like streets and highways and basic infrastructure necessary to keep our economy functioning. Like research into renewable energy sources and other important scientific endeavors.
I believe in heath care for everyone. Would universal health care be a perfect solution? Probably not, but what we have isn't working so maybe we can try something else. Michael Moore's movie Sicko may have been flawed, but it certainly made me grateful to have a good job and good health and good insurance. If the republican's do win and they truly want to get rid of the "grafters, crooks and cheaters" as soon as they are done with the oil companies they can start on the health care industry.
Is Obama going to be able to provide all of the things that are important to me? Probably not. But he believes in them too, so he is the one I am putting my faith in come November.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I certainly don't hate anyone or anything. I am fearful yes of extremism in any form.
It bothers me when multiple times at the RNC Muslim Extremeists were mentioned as being terrorists and yet the Christian extremeists in our own country are ignored every day.
Being in a country with Freedom of Religion includes those of us who chose to follow no religion. It also includes those that chose to follow a religion different than the one of the "ruling" party.
I am a firm believer in removing the word God from our money and when saying the pledge of allegience I stay silent for that line. I will pledge allegience to my country and my flag but not to your God.
I agree with E on all of the points she brought up and could list many more. Palin scares the bejeebers out of me. She is a talking point and nothing more.
I see what you mean about getting too long. Maybe I need to post.
What the heck are bejeebers? I am going to take a guess and say they are in the intestines. Close?
Come on - a talking point? She is the Governor of a state with a high approval rate. She is similar to many strong women I have hired and known. She gets things done and does not care whether she steps on entrenched Republicans.
Her approval rating was nowhere to be seen 1 week before her selection.
earmarks
Bridge to Nowhere
Secession
To just name a few. I won't even mention the money taken form the Alaskan Government as a per diem for staying in her own home. Or how about Troopergate?
Yes a talking point and yes I am scared.
The approval rating comment does not make sense to me. If the argument is that if x number of people like her, she can't be that bad. Um, yes she can.
I will agree she is a strong woman and can probably get things done, but the things she wants to get done are thing I don't want done.
Doesn't her complete lack of foreign policy experience give any republicans pause, since that is what they jumped all over on Obama? At least he has been in congress sitting in on foreign policy decision. She has none, zippo, zilch! Not that it would change my mind in the least, but you think it would rate a mention rather than lauding her "executive" experience (i.e. she knows how to boss people around).
Erika, By that logic the fact that Bush's approval rating is so very low just does not matter? Of course it does. Also, the Congress's rating of even lower than Bush's is equally as important.
I like blogging here because I only have to push one button. The others require Google account and password, even mine.
It is important to know that people don't like Bush. I am thrilled that people don't like Bush. But that alone should not change anyone's mind about Bush (i.e., if everyone else hates him I should too).
Saying someone's popularity is very high is not a good reason to like them. It could be high becuase they are giving out candy, not because they are good at what they do. If Obama's ratings drop it will give me cause for concern, but it would not make me not vote for him.
Post a Comment