And boy are my knees sore. Mom and I crawled all the way to Westbranch on Wednesday. 69 was really bad and I never got about 40mph. But we got here withoug incident.
This morning we were all up at about 8am in order to head up to the Soo. We got on the freeway at around 9am and by 10am we had gone 20 miles and I was ready to cry. I am a very good snow driver and I was hanging on by a thread. We could not keep the windshield clear and the very small path in front of us disappeared regularly so it was impossible to tell if we were staying on the road. Everytime someone passed us we were thrown into absolute zero visibility; I would go so far as to call it negative visibility. None of the exit ramps were passable to getting off the freeway was not even an option. At exit 237 (we started at 212) I finally had to pull over to clear my windshield. I was terrified of sliding off the embankment so I pull over very slightly and stopped. Little did I know that there was about 15 cars that had not passed me and everyone of them came to a complete stop. I ignored that fact and got out to clean the windshield and de-ice the wipers. Unfortunatly, when I got back in the car had stalled and would not start. Aaaargh!
So we called 911 and were told that a wrecker would be on the way. That was 10am. We waited for about hour in a freezing cold car (we only had 9 degrees) for the wrecker to show up. Finally, a cruiser arrived and sat behind us to make sure we were seen by oncoming traffic and then and hour later the wrecker showed up. He towed us into Roscommon and dropped us off at the local McDonalds. Unfortunately, it was Thanksgiving and the McDs was closed. Fortunately, the McD was attached to an open gas station. Gretchen had been calling her friends in town and Jeremy agreed to come out and get us. But he had to drive through the same snow we did. He showed up about an hour later and we headed over to the car dealership where the wrecker dropped the car. While we were unloading mom's trunk into Jeremy's trunk I tried the car and it started. After discussions about driving back in an unreliable car, and waiting for the frozen condensation on the inside of the car to thaw we decided to go ahead and leave the car there.
We were all back at Gretchen's safe and sound at around 2pm. A long interesting day. We just finished our cobbled together Thanksgiving dinner which was delicious and we are planning to try the drive again tomorrow morning. We will have to get at least as far as Roscommon to get mom's car. Wish us luck both in getting there and in our gambling.
Thursday, November 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Talk about Amazon Van Houten women, my daughters are undauntable. Friday morning Gretchen and Gordon left at 2:00AM to go to the Best Buy sale in Saginaw. There were several hundred people already in line for the 5:00AM opening so they went to other stores. I called the car dealer when they opened at 8 and they said they would look at the car as soon as possible. By 9:00AM we were back on our way to the Sault and stopped to get the rest of the stuff out of my car. They had already checked it out and dried it off and could find nothing wrong with it. I paid the bill (gladly) and we left it there to be picked up on our way home.
We gambled, we ate, we laughed, we had a wonderful time and I can't wait to do it again.
Post a Comment