Monday, December 05, 2005

Moving the Mommy

We got some stuff moved this weekend at mom's, but not everything. She needs boxes, Gretch. All of the ones in the basement are very shallow. They will be good for things like individual drawers in the kitchen, but she will need more deep boxes for real stuff.

Since we had Jackson we had a limited moving schedule. On Friday night I packed up her TV stand. I wish we had time to watch all of the videos that I packed, but it was already late. We did watch one with a one-year-old Megan taking a bath; what a cute little naked baby she was. I left a giant basket full of pictures that mom is sending to Gretchen's. I also packed up the table next to the couch and some of the front closet. On Saturday morning we were able to move these boxes and the linen boxes that Stephie helped pack up over to the new house. I unpacked the linen boxes and took them back over to pack again.

When Jackson went down for his nap I headed to the basement and packed up the toy cupboard and the bookcase. We found more things from grandpa's house (grandma and grandpa's immigration papers and passports) and more decks of cards than you could (or should) shake a stick at. When Jackson woke up from his nap we headed back over and these boxes are just stacked in the basement at the new place. Have I mentioned that the new basement is huge. It is shocking after being used to the old basement. My basement is big, but it is divided up into rooms, while this one is wide open.

After the little guy went to bed mom and I started on her closet. We emptied all of the cubbies in the shoe rack (there is a large bag for Goodwill in her room that will need to be handled) and then started on the top shelf or mostly receipts and liquor. Some of the liquor looked older than me and all but two of the bottle had never been opened. Unfortunately, one of the open bottles leaked and that box had to be unpacked and repacked when I got downstairs. Sunday morning we moved all of these boxes over to the new place and I was able to unpack all but the shoes and send the empty boxes home with mom.

Jackson was starting to protest getting in and out of the car so much, so we just hung out at the new house until it was time for us to head home. I had his new snowpants with me and we decided to let him out back to "play" in the snow. After a few misses getting him into the pants, he was packed up and I dropped him out the patio door to "play." He stood there for a very long time, not moving and then proceeded to eat his own weight in snow. Luckily, he is pretty light.
"Do you want to come in?"
"Yes." Pull him in (there is no step right now, but we are working on that).
"I wan out"
"You just came in"
"I wan out" Drop him back out.
Knocking on the window.
"Do you want to come in?"
"Yes." Pull him in.
"I wan out"
"How about a cereal bar?"
"Yeah!"

Things that I would have packed if I had had more time (and more boxes): the filing cabinet and steel shelves in the basement; the desk in mom's room; some of her dresser drawers (sheets, etc.); the cupboards in both bathrooms. Some small things like pillows and footstools in the basement can be moved over in advance too. Anything that will give us less to move on the 26th would be good.

I am so excited. This is a good move and we are going to love the new house. My plans (in my own head) are to head to mom's on the 22nd (after Jackson's two-year tune up). I plan to fill Gretchen's room with balloons for him on the 23rd and have a small celebration for his birthday, maybe inviting Mrs. and Anna, etc. We will probably do grandma's on the 24th and the Zynda's on the 25th. I will then leave him with Mrs. for a few days while we do the heavy lifting.

Damn this post got long, it is a good thing I got to work at 6am.

1 comment:

paulette said...

Erika didn't mention all the talking Jackson did this weekend. He put together an 8 word sentence. "I want to jump on the big ball".