Monday, March 27, 2006

Saving the Daylight

We just got this message from our IT people "For the first time since 1970,most Indiana counties will observe Daylight Saving Time (DST) this spring." Apparently, this is going to screw with the calendars of everyone at IU since they were set up not to spring forward like the rest of the country.

I have decided that I want to have a daylight checking account, instead of daylight savings. I understand that I will have to keep a minimum balance, but I can cover that with the daylight between 6am and 7am that I won't be needing. I would love to be able to just pull out some daylight when I really want it.

This is a huge change for Indiana and it took a long time to come to an agreement about who would be going with central time and who would be going with eastern. There were plenty of school/industry/safety arguments for both sides. My press for central time was strictly based on the John Stewart argument. Whenever the rest of the country would spring forward in April, we would hang back and enjoy central time and all of the perks that come with that. The main (and possibly only) perk was that primetime TV started an hour earlier. I could watch Grey's Anatomy without falling asleep half-way through and I had a shot at watching The Daily Show with John Stewart on a regular basis. I loved that part. As soon as the rest of the country fell back into line, John went back to 11pm and out of my reach. Now, alas, we will be springing with the best (and worst) of you and John and I will never see each other again. I hope your happy.

p.s. Yes, Michigan people this means we will forever be on the same time and you never have to wonder what time it is at my house anymore.

14 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thank God, I can never remember if you are the same as mom or not. BTW there is this awesome new invention it's called something like VCR or Tivo, something about being able to record shows and wathc them whenever you want. Sounds cool, maybe you should give one a try.

Can you feel the comment love?

EZ Travel said...

I have heard of this VCR thing, but I barely have time to watch the things that I tape now. I can occasionally catch Stewart at 2pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I am loving the comment love, thank you.

Gretchen said...

So what time, (my time) (MI time not my time based on my alarm clock) will you be arriving on Thursday. I will be inventing a Dr.'s appointment that I have to leave early for.

Sorry about the comment love, I spent the weekend away from the computer.

KathrynVH said...

Gretchen, does this mean you are back--we've missed you. Of course that doesn't excuse you from spreading those rumors that Jackson likes you better than me. I am an award winning toastmaster afterall. Just because you are blogging doesn't mean you can just say anything willy nilly. BTW, Adrienne says we have to call Timmy, Tim.

KathrynVH said...

P.S. Aren't those chess pieces cool!

EZ Travel said...

I plan on leaving here around noon and depending on naps (Jackson's not mine) I should be there by 3:30pm.

EZ Travel said...

I suppose someone called "puppy" for a large part of her life can be sensitive to such diminutive titles.

And I think TIM's chess pieces are very cool.

Monica said...

I know what you mean about falling asleep during an evening show. I've learned to tape 6 hrs of The Apprentice onto 1 tape into an extra VCR and watch the whole 6 hrs at 1 time, then rewind and use again for the next 6 episodes. You can watch 6 hours of a VHS tape in 1 sitting if you are 70 years old, retired, and unencumbered.

Tim B. said...

Thanks for mentioning the chess pieces. They are slow going because I am a lathe "rook"ie. Check out JP's pen when you can. And I have pictures of the FINISHED barrel coming up soon.

Tim(my)

Sean M. said...

I have always wondered about that whole Time Zone thing in Indiana. Since the Cincinnati area includes parts of Indiana, they cater specifically to their time, which has always confused me. I guess in one sense it will be good to go along with everyone else, but I can see how that could be a problem in some situations.

And I do agree with your friend about the Cinnabons. They must be doing something to those things to make 'em smell that good!

paulette said...

I just didn't want to be the only one without a comment on this blog.

Gretchen said...

When is there such a thing as too much daylight savings time?

When you program your VCR to update automatically and your DST challenged but yet very helpful and attempting to be kind sister is also there for the time change.

EZ Travel said...

I'm so sorry. I thought there couldn't be any harm in setting it for you. I had no idea you had such a new fangled one that would set itself.

Sean M. said...

I think it's time for you to post again...LOL