Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Is That So Wrong?

Someone asked me the other day, as part of some polite chit chat at one of our forced socializing events here on campus, whether I could imagine my life if I had not had Jackson. Without hesitation I said "yes." She was apalled and did not hide it very well. I quickly tried to cover my tracks, but in thinking about it I can indeed imagine my life if I had not had Jackson, simply because I had a long adult life before I had Jackson. I had a really good life before Jackson and I have a really good life now.

Is it completely different? Yes.

Could I have lived a happy and fulfulling life without having Jackson? Yes.

Am I happy that I have Jackson? Absolutely.

It seems I am very unPC about my devotion to motherhood. I should have said "absolutely, not; I can't even remember my life without him." What a weird world.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Not wrong just unusual. Since I had my kids so early, I can't imagine what my life would have been. Have I tried, darn tootin.

Monica said...

Kim was born near our first anniversary date, and I've been a mother for all of my adult life. I cannot even imagine never having been a mother, but I don't doubt that most any couple who have never had kids are very happy indeed.