Thursday, April 24, 2008

No Good Can Come

Why do you people let me try to do things on my own? No good can come from this. Today I had plenty of time so I decided to hit the Greektown Casino on my way to mom's (as I explained to Gretchen, it IS on the way, if you go the long way). I programmed my GPS, but I wouldn't need it because I have been to this casino a hundred times before. A hundred times WITH MOM!

My problems began when signs on I75 started saying "closed at Clark" use I275. Well, OK. That meant I took the long way for no reason since I was about to end up right at I275 and I94 anyway, but I could handle it. I even ignored my GPS when it tried to take me onto I375 when I knew I wanted to take the 10. I got to the exact spot where I never remember the correct place to turn left and I remembered the correct turn. I to the casino and it was sealed off like a tight construction infused drum. There was no way to get there from here. And there was no way to get anyplace else either. I went around the whole place and every garage was full with throngs of Tiger fans milling around with giant gothic Ds on their chests.

Right about then my fuel light came on. Damn! Just get me out of here. So got on the first major freeway I could find knowing that I could get on any other major freeway from there. Well, I could if every square inch of Detroit wasn't under construction. But it is, so I used my GPS and my wits and I found the sign to get on I94 and headed toward it (in the get to mom's house game, I94 beats I75) only to be thwarted at the last minute by more construcion. But that's OK I see a gas station. I am in possibly the worst neighborhood in town, but I need gas so I pull in only to find signs on every pump saying "out of order." There is another gas station across the freeway but cleverly placed orange fencing prevents that possibility. I finally make it onto I94 and then I96 (I96 trumps all other freeways) but there were no visible gas stations at any exits. So I kept going, finally at Outer Driver I saw a BP and I pulled in. Unfortunately, after I pulled in a giant camper pulled in and I had to wait until he finished topping off his 6000 gallon tank before I could pull back out.

I am at mom's now and I am ready for my nap. Adrienne gets in at 6am. Maybe I will sleep until then.

1 comment:

Marcel said...

Those Freeway stories remind me how your Grandfather got stranded on I75 and environs for two days. Your Mother had to get him out of the policestation and take him home.