Monday, July 28, 2008

I Called Mom

I was driving around Indy and I saw a Cici's Pizza.

Back in 2004 I was driving back and forth to Indy and Bloominton at least once a month for a training program. Mom came with me for many of these trips and she took care of a very tiny Jackson while I attended sessions. On one of these trips we were driving around Indy and we saw a Cici's Pizza. Mom had heard about this place from Aunt Monica so we tried it. We were completely taken off guard when we walked in and the guy said "2?" and when we answered yes he said "that will be $7." We, had not even looked at the menu to decide what we wanted yet. He recognized our confusion, he probably saw it often, and explained that there was one price and it was all you can eat. So we paid and ate. And ate and ate and ate. There were not too many people there and the salad was delicious and the pizza was fresh and hot and the dessert was amazing. These days when we go to Cici's, only at Jackson's request, the salad is wilty and the pizza is pretty bad, but the dessert is still good, hence Jackson's request to go there.

So, anyway, I was still driving in Indy and I saw a Trader Joe's. Now I knew that this was the same Cici's mom and I went to all those years ago because I remember calling Rebecca from the car to ask if she wanted me to stop at Trader Joe's to get them anything. They were, and still are, making regular trips to Chicago just to go to Trader Joe's.

Keep in mind that these memories took only a second to come flooding back and since I was stopped at a light I flipped open my phone to call mom and tell her.

She didn't answer.

I hung up and cried quietly as I continued to drive. Then I hit Keystone and had to pull over to cry harder.

3 comments:

Marcel said...

You got me, it brought a tear to my eyes also.

Sean M. said...

Same here...

Monica said...

I just read this blog and I was crying before I ever opened the comments. (10/19/08)