Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hani-Yucky

I have a friend that loves Hani-Yori. Her whole family loves Hani-Yori. Whenever they are all in town, they can't wait to go to Hani-Yori. I just don't get it. I am not a big fan of Japanese food in general, but I can hold my own in most restaurants and I rarely complain. So about a year ago I went with a group of friends to lunch at Hani-Yori and I hated it.. HATED! First the menu had two things on it: beef and chicken. I like a little more variety, but OK, chicken. The tables are set up so that it is nearly impossible to have a decent conversation, which works out fine because the waiter/showman never leaves you alone. Fine, I get it that you can chop things really fast, woo hoo for you, now can you please bring me a salad or something, so I can talk to my friends? No? Fine, you can stack pieces of onion and make smoke come out the top. Very nice. Now leave me alone, I am trying to have a conversation here. Rice? You are going to fry up the rice? Yes, I am looking, you can stop banging now. I am not a fan of fried rice, but go ahead, and could you do it quietly? No? Ugh! What are you doing? You are adding egg to the rice. Without even asking! Can I get some plain white rice here please to go with my freshly grilled chicken with absolutely no flavor at all. Yeah, that would be great. OK, enough with the knives, now you are just pissing me off. Really, I left there enraged and hungry.

But Sue loves it. So when she asked me to join her and another friend (whom I haven't seen in ages) there for lunch today I said yes. What was I thinking? Luckily, I have a lot of errands to do today and I will just run in and hug everyone and run back out before the waiter has a chance to piss me off.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

We did this kind of restaurant for one of Adams bday's, as a matter of fact, I think Mel was living ehre and came along. It was fun. It's more about the atmosphere and not the food, but definately not a place to "catch up". K and I even tried swordfish there, not too bad.

Marcel said...

A very honest and understanding appraisal. This type of restaurant is for spending time with people you do not care for or do not want to talk to. Salesmen do not take clients here (unless they ask to go) because they cannot close a sale in that atmosphere.