Thursday, November 13, 2008

M Day

I am grateful for McDonald's. Not only did it give me my first real working experience (if you don't count the two or three jobs I had before I turned 16), but it has always been a symbol of civilization to me. I can remember being lost in a new city and just catching a glimpse of those golden arches calmed me down immediately. Nothing bad can happen now, I have a warm, safe place to go and ask directions. I can remember driving down the road by myself and needing a bathroom so bad that I was willing to brave a gas station (this was back in the day when gas station bathrooms were outside and universally disgusting) but then noticing that telltale fleck of gold about a mile down the road and knowing that if I could hold on until then I would be met with a clean, warm place to pee.

These days it is a place where I can read. An actual hard-copy, open-it-up-and-look-at-the-pages, book. About twice a week (when I don't have Jackson) I stop for a Sausage McMuffin (which I invented about 25 years ago, thank you very much) and I read my book. My meal only lasts about twenty minutes, but I drag it out so that I can read just a little bit more before heading to work. I am grateful that I have a warm, comfortable, reasonably priced, place to do that.

2 comments:

John Beauregard said...

McDolald's is one of the few retail chains that showed a profit in the last quarter. Your posting is a great example of why. Not so much because their food is so affordable but because they represent a clean, warm, safe place. This branding does not come easy. It takes years of constant attention to detail. BTW: We prefer the chicken sandwich at Burger King.

Marcel said...

Yes, McDonald's is one of my favorite places also, for the food and the interesting people that I meet there.

Can't wait for W and Walmart.