Saturday, November 15, 2008

O Day

O is for Ontogeny.

It recapitulates phylogency, you know. Let's hear it for Mr. Shirkey!

I remember sitting in sophmore biology in high school and Mr. Shirkey having us chant that line and I loved it. I loved the way it felt when I said it. I never really understood what it meant, and I just found out today that it was wrong, but I loved it nonetheless and it was the first thing that jumped into my head when thinking of an "O" word.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wow, I haven't thought about that in 30 years. I don't think I ever understood what it meant. But I'm sure I got it right on the test.

EZ Travel said...

30 years! Damn, how much older than me are you?

Marcel said...

Never to old to learn. I had not heard of this theory but am glad to hear of it. My biology is rudimentry at best since I never had a class in it.

I now have a confusion as to when Ontology starts it's process, is it as a Zygote?

Marcel said...

Sorry, I meant to use Ontogeny.